Thursday, April 21, 2011

Progress

It has been three days since I gave myself a goal.  A goal of writing 5 pages per day, and I know you are wondering how I have been doing!!  Yes, I have been wondering myself!  Well, I can tell you this....I may have been a little ambitious to set a goal of 5 pages.  I know, I know, it has only been 3 days but still, ask me how many pages I have written........my answer would be 6!  That averages out to 2 pages per day, I am rather good at arithmatic, should I change my goal, or try to work my way up to 5 pages?  That is a difficult question, so here are my daily 'Penned Pages':

Monday: 2 pages
Tuesday: 4 pages
Wednesday: 0, yes that's right a big fat 0!!
Thursday (today): nothing so far but I am at least on my laptop, so that's a good sign....I hope!

So, my question is......do I re-evealuate my ability to write 5 pages per day?  Do I work up to it or should I change the amount to 2 or 3?  I will hold off on a decision to see how it goes over the next few days.

"Week in Writing'

Well, I have to say that when sitting with the laptop comfortably on my lap, my thighs roasting hot because I forgot to use my lap desk, but can't be bothered to get up and find it, I can get into quite a good writing groove.  When the blisters start to appear is when I have to stop for a break and actually find the lap desk!!

Now, I am not one to sit in a silent room to write, I need other things going on around me.  I usually have the TV on and sit on the couch.  More often than not my daughter is resting in her room so I have an hour or two to write.  But when I have an idea or am really in a groove, which was obviously not this week, then I will continue while she is up and playing.  That doesn't last too long as I have to play with playdoh or have a pretend picnic with her!

I haven't actually tried to write in a quiet room.  I am not a quiet person by nature....yes, I know those of you who know me are actually laughing out loud right now saying 'no shit Sherlock!'.....so the idea of a quiet room has never appealed to me.  Maybe this is something I should try.  It could render me incapable of writing due to insanity but it is worth a try.  I will let you know when I am going to start it, so that if you haven't heard from me for a couple of days you know to call in the sniffer dogs!

'Author's Authority'

So, I posed a question on my last post that asked how many pages the highly published authors write per day.  Well, I found out several things, first of all, I couldn't find out anything about specific page amounts written or word counts written for many authors...however I did find out that Jodi Picoult writes for about 7 hours per day, writing or editing, maybe researching but she is at her desk for the majority of the day taking weekends off.  Nora Roberts however writes 8 hours a day every day.  While Nicholas Sparks has a goal of 2000 words per day, averaging about 5 hours, and he writes 5-6 days per week.  By the way, 2000 words is approx 6-8 double spaced pages using size 12 font.

So this info poses another question....knowing how many pages people write and how many hours they write for, is my 5 page goal too much?  With a family to take care of and 2-3 hours a day in which to write, is it possible to write good pages in that amount of time?

Well, thanks for reading.  Ponder my dilemma, and let me know what you think.

Happy Penning!

No comments:

Post a Comment