Thursday, June 23, 2011

Storyboard

In a few previous posts I have mentioned storyboarding.  This is something that many writers do,whether they are writing a novel or a script.  Many directors use storyboards to sequence the action in a movie, they use drawings or cartoons to show the flow of the story.  Writers take a different approach though, still the same concept but without the drawings!

There are several different ways to storyboard, and just like anything in life, what works for one author may not work for another.  Some people prefer notecards.  Each card has a scene that the writer wants to be in the novel.  They are then sequenced as to how the writer sees the story progressing.  Once that is done, more cards can be added to 'fill in the blanks' of the story.  Others may opt for the poster board and sticky note option.  Similar to the note cards, the sticky notes are used to write down key scenes and then put into a timeline on the poster board, this way you can move around the stickies and add/subtract any that you wish to make a coherent story.  There are also programs you can download to help with the storyboard process.  WriteItNow and yWriter are just two of many that I have downloaded, but as yet have not used.  I am rather illiterate when it comes to the computer and so am still trying to navigate my way through them!! 

What I decided to do was storyboard in my notebook.  I bulleted everything that I felt would be important to the story, in chronological order, this way I have a direction to go but can still be spontaneous with my ideas.  So far it is working well, and helping me be a little more active in my writing since I know the next stage I need to get to.  With this being the first draft of Book 'B' I allow myself to be a little messy, this way I am able to just regurgitate whatever is in my brain without having to worry about it being perfect.

'Penned Pages'
Since I last posted, I think I have about 6 additional pages, now bare in mind it has been about a week or so since my last post!!!!  Still, it is an addition so can't be too hard on myself!

'Week In Writing'
Since I decided to write a storyboard I have had a lot more free flowing story ideas, there have been a few times where I have wondered how to get from point A to point B, but overall the storyboard is working pretty well.  It is very difficult to juggle home, work, play etc. however, and have chosen to put everything before my writing!!  I know I shouldn't do this but hey.....IT'S SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!  My daughter and I have been enjoying the sun alot, with trips to the pool, to the Zoo and having lovely picnics at the farm.  It is wonderful to see the summertime through her eyes!

Enjoy the Season everyone....it is truly special.

Happy Penning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment